Sunday 3 March 2013

Badger

You looked so beautiful, lying there,
I thought how handsome you had been,
how life and death is always unfair
you were the most lovely creature I'd ever seen.

Fur so soft I dared not touch, eyes closed as if in sleep
your face unmarked, your features intact
you didn't deserve to die that night, to be still at my feet
a brutal killing, an accident, an attack.

I always wished to see a badger while outside some time
but I didn't think one would ever be out in light and stay still before me
I hate that my wish came true, for you were still and looked so fine
your handsome coat, your beauty exposed in light so I could see

but you were only before me so still and sweet, as you were dead
if only I could exchange something else and save you instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment